It’s April, we’ve had our Easter break and now we’re all gearing up for that late spring sun… where is it?? Not sure about you but as much as I am desperate to get excited about zesty salads and fresh cold plates, I am still craving nourishing bowls of hot stuff. I am just back from a very wet, foggy, muddy run this morning and I am already dreaming about my lunch… a big bowl of spicy Pho soup.
Since discovering the ease of this recipe I must be making it at least once a week in a huge batch and saving the broth in the fridge to add whatever veg and protein I have. It is so versatile and my boys love it too. They prefer theirs with egg noodles and chicken or beef and I am definitely a prawn and rice noodle girl with my meat free (still!) wheat free preferences.
Veggies can be anything really but I find a dark green leafy veg like pak choir, bok choi, kale, cavelo nero is a great contrast to the spicy broth and coupled with the protein, you really feel like you’re putting some good into your body. This is also perfect to prep in advance and take to work, just tumble out the dry ingredients into a bowl, warm up the broth and pour over.
serves 1 (double/triple/quadruple as required)
· Palm sized amount of protein of choice: chicken, prawn, tofu, as examples
· Handful of dark leafy veg of choice
· 1 serving of rice noodles soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes and drained
· 3-4 spring onions
· ½ red onion sliced
· Other veg of choice, beansprouts and mushrooms work well
· 1/2 litre of vegetable or chicken stock (this will make extra broth that you can keep)
· 2 chopped chillies (or less if preferred!)
· 1 clove garlic minced
· Thumb sized ginger grated
· 1 tbsp fish sauce (nam pla)
· Splash soy sauce
· Handful coriander leaves torn
· ½ lime cut into wedges
· Tbsp coconut oil
- Add red onions, and garlic to melted hot coconut oil in a large saucepan and quickly fry off until charring slightly, add ginger, chilli and protein of choice – and either brown off if chicken or flash fry if tofu/fish/prawns.
- Add the stock and all other ingredients apart from noodles, lime and coriander and cover.
- Simmer on a low heat for approximately 20 minutes (check protein is cooked through.)
- In a bowl assemble pho with noodles at the bottom, spoon on greens and protein and then pour over broth.
- Garnish with coriander and a wedge of lime
Until next time,