One of the best ways to get kids to eat anything is to involve them in the making of it! These recipes are easy to throw together and fantastic to share as a family. They also make a great adult lunch or dinner.
Quick and easy to do - it is a great dish that the kids can get involved in making. This has always been a family favourite. Place in the middle of the table for the whole family to share.
- 1 packet of smoked mackerel
- 4 tablespoons of Greek yoghurt
- The juice of half a lemon
- Peel the skin off the fish, checking for bones and flake into a bowl.
- Add yoghurt, lemon juice and blend to a smooth consistency.
Great to dip, share with crudités and wholewheat pita or rye soldiers!
Oriental salad (in Vietnamese rice wraps)
This salad will tickle your taste buds. It's full of flavour and will leave you feeling virtuous! This is one of my favourites for dinner but also makes a fun lunch for everyone to build their own wrap - just how they like it.
- 2 cooked and cooled chicken breasts (for adults cook with a sprinkle of turmeric for additional flavour and health benefits)
- Half a packet of beansprouts
- 3/4 packet of spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 2 sheets of seaweed/packet of itsu seaweed thins (optional, but available at ASDA and Waitrose)
- 1/2 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- Finely diced quarter of a red onion
- A packet of mange tout, blanched
- Rice paper wraps (optional, soak for 10 seconds in hot water until soft, do this at the table for ease, available from oriental supermarkets and online health food retailers)
Mix all the ingredients together to make an oriental salad or place into separate piles on a sharing platter if you are going to make rice wraps. You could always add mango, carrots, peppers or Thai basil but this is a great starting point that doesn't cost the earth.
I like to serve the salad or wraps with a tangy dressing (if you're making the wraps use as a dipping sauce.) For the kids I omit the chilli and add a little water to make it less salty.
- Juice of a lime
- 1 dessertspoon of light soy sauce
- A little chopped red chilli to taste
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of agave nectar
I hope that you and your family enjoy these great tasting dishes